Monday, October 21, 2013

Trainer Again!

Hello!

Holy this week was nuts....So I'll just jump right into things since I dont' have too much time. We got transfer calls! I will be staying here, and I am going to train a new missionary again! By myself this time (: I'm excited. I will be staying District Leader. Elder Spencer will be going to Simi Valley. 

Apparently the Elders from a ward in our district met the singer of a band called Panic! At the Disco.... I'm so jealous. I'm pretty sure at least Keith knows who they are. But yeah so that was cool! 

Okay. Here is the crazy part. I'll give you the short version........ Here we go.
So our ZLs went on a blitz with us this past week. That is where they come to our area and all four of us go tract somewhere or go to appointments, etc. So Elder Spencer and Elder Reese went to go tract a street that Elder Spencer and I chose out the night before. So we decided to exchange for 30 minutes. Elder Kleinman and I worked for 30 minutes, and we wait for a couple minutes... they don't show up. So we start tracting another street. Time starts ticking by.... 45 minutes after they were supposed to pick us up we get a phone call about a drunk guy and they would be there soon.... what?? so about 30 minutes after that they finally pick us up, and they are trying to explain what had happened.... I was so confused. Apparently they tracted into a guy, and gave them a regular reaction to missionaries (I was raised in a christian home, I love Christ, Not interested, etc.) and he just started bawling when they were talking to him. He was super drunk and the night before he had gotten drunk and beaten his fiance (and it wasn't the first time) . No bueno... His 18-year-old son called the cops on him and they came and he spent the night in jail. Somebody bailed him out of jail that morning and he was just a wreck. His fiance was gone. So they talked to him a little bit and tried to comfort him. They checked his house to make sure he didn't have any more alcohol, and he didn't because he drank it all. Then they made him promise not to drive anywhere. So that's when they picked us up, and we exchanged back then Elder Spencer and I went and got some In'n'out because we hadn't had dinner yet. I was about to park in the In'n'out parking lot to eat our food, but Elder Spencer said that we should go park in front of his house to make sure he doesn't/didn't leave. So we drove there, and ate our food, and just before we were finished we see his garage open up..... we see him walk out and hop in his van. NO! So I jumped out yelling to him and waving my arms (I probably looked like a weirdo) and he almost hit me when he was backing out, but he saw me next to his driver window just about he drove off, then he pulled back in the driveway and got out...... That was a close one. It was no coincidence that we were there at that time. He was still pretty drunk. We found out that he was going to buy a burger from In'n'out because he hadn't eaten for a long time... I then felt pretty bad for just scarfing down a double-double (: haha. But we go back inside with him, and this guy is just a wreck.... he was crying and talking to us about all of this. Then..... the fiance walked in.... We are pretty sure she was drunk too. She had packed up her car and was coming back to the house to get a couple more things. She started screaming and yelling the nastiest, most vulgar things at him for 30 minutes straight, which felt like hours. He didn't say anything, he just looked down the whole time. I was terrified..... I didn't know what to do. The only way I could describe how I felt was spiritually cold. The spirit was completely gone. I didn't know what to do.... so I just dropped to my knees and started praying, pleading with Heavenly Father to calm things down and to bring the spirit back.... at just about that time, Elder Spencer said to her, "[Name], I think it would be best if you left." Then he kneeled down and the man followed. Then she went upstairs, and sat at the top stair. After I felt things had calmed down a bit, I opened my eyes and sat back on his couch. Then he pulled out his phone and started playing some christian rock music. And they were actually really good songs, and that helped the spirit come back a little bit. Then I don't remember how, but earlier before she came, it came up that I played guitar, so he went and grabbed his guitar and told me to play something.... so I said a little prayer on what I should play, and I felt like I should play Nearer my God to Thee. So I did, and by this point, both the man and his fiance were bawling. She came down and joined us. They told me to play another song, so I played "Hero" By Abandon. And like right in the middle of the song they like started cuddling.... and kissing... it was soooooo awkward! and knowing my immature self, I almost started laughing right in the middle of the song haha (: But yeah, to shorten it up a bit, we left that night, and the spirit was somewhat back. They weren't yelling at each other at all, so that was a miracle in and of itself. Then we decided to go back the next day to check up on them..... Not a good idea. He was sober that day, but I guess earlier that morning she went to her Yoga class, and got completely hammered afterwards. So she was sitting in her car around the corner just completely belligerent from being drunk. He found her in her car, and he drove her back to their house, and he carried her up to their bed and she just passed out. he unpacked her car and washed all of the clothes she had in there. A couple hours later is when we got there. We had a lesson with him and he told us that he felt lost, and we told him that we had been sent by God to help him come back to Christ. He said that he really believed that we were sent by God, and he was planning on coming to church, and everything. Then..... His fiance woke up... still drunk. She comes down and starts yelling at us right in the middle of our closing prayer, and she wouldn't stop. So we got up and started walking out the door, and he was telling us that he'd see us on Sunday, but she starts yelling at him to give her keys back, because he took them while she was passed out. He wouldn't give them back to her, and she was like begging us to stay and help her find her keys because she was convinced that he was going to kill her that night. We kept telling her that we didn't know where they were, but that wasn't good enough for her. She was not letting us go until she got her keys. So he gave her keys back, so we tried to sneak out and we got to our car and started driving away. While that was happening she goes to her car and finds that everything she has packed is no longer in there.... She was FURIOUS. she walked very swiftly  up to our car before we could get away (and might I add that she is wearing nothing but underwear and a robe, and she isn't concerned if it flies open or not) and she made us roll our window down. She started screaming at us to help her come find her clothes that she had packed, and we tried to convince her that we didn't know where they were but that really wasn't good enough for her.... So we convinced her that we'd pull over and help her, so we do so, and we go back inside. She yelled at us and the man a little bit more. then we hear the door bell.... could it be?? It might be!!! YES!! It's the police! I don't think I've ever been so happy to see a policeman in my whole entire life!! So eventually we got out of there.... goodness.... so we aren't going back there for a while. Then he didn't show up at church yesterday, so we called him right before our meeting started and he said he couldn't make it because he had to go bail his fiance out of jail because she had gotten a DUI the day before... what a mess. But I know that it was inspired by the spirit to find him, and we are going to help him change. It won't be easy, and it won't happen over night, but they can change. 

Woooo... There we go (: that is the highlight of my week..... After going through that, eating dinner at member's houses was such a safehaven! The Spanish unit of our stake put on an activity Saturday night and that was way fun.... We weren't able to see Tom this week... He wasn't there ): But we found him last weekend and we are going to go back this week. We weren't able to see Paula either.... sad ): But we are definitely going to have a good week this week! 

Thank you so much for all that you so! It really is such a blessing to have a wonderful example like you as my wonderful mother (: Thank you for never drinking, as we can see it is the devil in a bottle from the situation above. I love and miss you lots! Talk to you next week (: 

Love,
Elder Teeples

No comments:

Post a Comment